The summer months can really highlight the importance of staying hydrated. Drinking water is so important before and during workouts and while spending time in the hot summer sun. Water is not the only source of hydration. Consuming fresh fruits and vegetables can also contribute to the daily water intake, so keep up with your fresh produce as well! Sports drinks can help replenish essential electrolytes like magnesium, sodium, and potassium. Keep your consumption of sports drinks in moderation, as they do contain added sugars.
Below we’ve listed some wonderful benefits to staying hydrated!
- Lubricates joints, cushions brain and spinal cord, and other tissues
- Regulates body temperature
- Helps maintain blood pressure
- Makes minerals, nutrients, and oxygen available to different parts of the body
- Flushes waste from the body
- Prevents kidney damage
- Moisturizes the skin and mucous membranes
- Aids weight management and can contribute to weight loss when replacing sugary beverages
Keep up your water intake to avoid dehydration and lower the likelihood of heatstroke! Stay well and healthy this summer, and remember that our office is available should you find yourself in pain or injured.